After a while of deep, meaningful thinking, I've reached the conclusion that I don't write anymore. And it feels a bit odd. Especially since I've been at it properly for a whole year now (thanks CC!).
The thing is, I don't have much time. The only creative writing I do (as in not edit) is this blog. I'm starting to feel kind of sad :(
What should I be doing now? I should be studying. I have to finish college and I have 4 years worth of subjects to get up to par with for my two horrible coming exams - one tougher than the other.
So, you've already guessed that this will be a post about me and my studying habit.
I have the annoying knack of getting distracted really easily from doing something (yes, even writing or critting). To avoid this, I've placed all my college books in a room with absolutely nothing interesting in it (my brother's ex room, so you can only guess what lurks in there). So, surrounded by books, I sit at the desk, grab a book (first year civil law...grrr... awful read, wouldn't recommend it to anyone) and I'm off.
I write the time I start studying - the day (I'm at day 8, I think? though it's actually day 11, but I skipped a few...oops) and the page I'm starting from (going at about 50 pages or more per day).
But when I finish studying for the day - it's like 5 hours later. What the hell? It took me 5 hours to read 50 meager pages?
Not exactly. Because about twenty minutes later - I get bored, I start counting pages, looking at the clock, wondering how long it might take me to finish... and so on.
1. Food - what, I want a glass of water! And something sweet while I'm at it. Except I don't have anything, so I have to rummage in the fridge to improvise (who said yogurt doesn't taste better with jam?) - and that happens more times per day than I can count. Ugh, there goes my target weight.
2. Boyfriend - wonder what he's up to (well, right now, he's sleeping). But I usually check - and when I do, we get talking and discussing news and then he gets hungry and I sigh and whip us up something and there goes another hour. But at least I won't be craving for food anymore.
3. Internet - Hmmm... I wonder if I got a crit. Should go check. And while I'm on CC, I should do a crit as well - I'm like so behind with all of this, when will I ever return all the favors pending? So yeah, let's do a crit - that takes about 40 minutes. Should get back to studying. Oh, wait - let's check the mail first - no, I don't want a free degree, a fake rolex or viagra - moving on. Let's go back to studying - wait, should check facebook first - what, new photos from someone I hardly know? Gotta check that out!
Okay, done with facebook. Time to study. But let's check the blogger stats first.
4. Music/daydreaming - okay, I'm back at my desk, but it's all boring - taking out the old ipod. I happily start underlining again. Whoa! I love this song and it's for such a nifty scene in my next book. - I stop underlining and reading and take the 4 minutes to imagine the scene the song reminds me of. The song is over, but I managed to get such nifty details set. I want to imagine it some more - another ten minutes gone.
5. Annoyance and backpain - I'm done! My neck hurts and I'm sick of this crappy subject (when can I get into criminal law?) that's it for the day. I'll do a better job tomorrow and catch up. I'd better go lie on my couch like a potato and do some reading/critting/blogging/talking to bf/watching tv - anything else, please. It's a warm day - maybe I'll even go outside!
So, yes - this is practically my learning experience right now. And I should be studying. I will, after I finish this post - I intentionally wanted to do some critting, but I'll leave that for one of the breaks. I wanna get this over with.
The thing is - I think all of this could apply to writing - but in my case, only the internet does - nothing else of the above distract me (especially not studying!). I wish I could do some writing other than the light edits I do before submitting a chapter to CC. :(
Ah, well, life goes on. And I do hope criminal law will pick up the pace ;) See you guys around.